Memorial Day is approaching, signifying the exciting start of summer and the long weekends that come with it. We have a few ideas on how you and your family can make the most of your long weekends.
- Take a ride. Amtrak is offering a special summer agreement where kids ages 2-12 can ride for $5 to any destination in North Carolina on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (blackouts may apply). “Kids Fare $5” is already in effect and runs through Aug. 31.
- Splish splash. Even without trekking to the beach, your family can enjoy the water by set up a fun water play area in your front driveway or backyard. Experiment with water tables, slip and slides, sprinklers and small children’s pools. If your kids are itching for more, take them to a local splash park!
- Check out a ball game. Summer fun often includes taking in a ball game. Check out your local ball park and enjoy the game. Many offer special activities for kids and fun family days.
- Visit a fire station. Many local stations are happy to arrange tours for kids. Kids will love meeting the fire fighters and checking out the fire trucks!
- See a kids’ movie. There are several movie theater chains that offer free or cheap kids’ films, often on weekday mornings during the summer. Also be on the lookout for free outdoor film showings. Nothing says summer like a trip to the movies!